Monday, May 28, 2007

5 Golden Rings



Modeling a necklace of thousands of tiny silver beads bought in Taxco, Mexico.


¡Special Matt Agard Guest Author Rant [with some editorial comments]!


Five Golden Rings, four copper bracelets, three pairs of earrings, two silver necklaces, and a Tarramura belt on an REI backpack.


Of course golden rings are frequently wedding rings, and before wedding rings come engagement rings, and that´s where our trouble starts. As many of you know, Mary and I became pseudo-engaged (engaged to be engaged) shortly before this trip with some pressure from one of my friends. (A seismologist in Seattle has a lot of explaining to do.)


Anyway, we couldn´t get engaged because we didn´t have a ring yet, and Mary didn´t trust me to buy a ring. (From the rest of this blog I´ve gathered she doesn´t think highly of my taste). [Ed Note: Not true, he asked me to shop with him. Possibly because he doesn´t think highly of his taste.] So we agreed to shop together for an engagement ring.


Biggest mistake of my life? That might be an exaggeration, but I would estimate that we have been to almost one hundred jewelry stores on our trip, Mary has bought at least a dozen pieces of jewelry, and there is no engagement ring in sight. Now she does have very exacting standards on rings, but this goes beyond that. There have been several times where she has seen something that seems perfect, only to want to sleep on it and then not make it back in time for the store to be open [Ed Note: I am not responsible for the haphazard shop keeping hours and/or the frequent holiday´s scheduled in Mexico].


I am fairly certain this is not accidental, Mary doesn´t want to find a ring. She has realized that once we find one, I won´t be as willing to do an hour or two of jewelry shopping every day, so she is trying her best to delay the inevitable. However what she doesn´t know is that if she doesn´t hurry up I am going to propose to her with a ring I find in a Cracker Jack box. [Ed note: There are no Cracker Jacks in Latin America.]

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you knew any other seismologists in Seattle because I certainly applied no pressure. And I certainly didn't recommend that you propose over instant messenger.

nat said...

Ahhh...romance is in the air in South America. Such a romantic story to tell your children.

P.S. I better be invited to the wedding.

Unknown said...

Uh oh, we're still racing you. Maybe we could meet you down there for that commitment ceremony.

Unknown said...

Let me know if you two need a care package. I'm sure candy coated peanuts and popcorn would taste delicious right about now...

M&IA said...

No Cracker Jack?--Poptops from soda/beer cans can work too!

Shari said...

Good for you Mary!

Jill Sunderson said...

So I haven't met Mary yet, but from the sound of it, she will be an excellent addition to the family as I'm always on the lookout for more jewelry shoppers!

Mother said...

Matt,
Mary is still a Trainee Jewelry Shopper - you should meet other members of our family.

Is Jill your Aunt or your Cousin?

Dad said...

Matt,

Deal with it, you sniveler. I've already told you once she has female Benson blood in her. I know how bad that can be after spending most of my waking hours this last week with her mother, grandmother and sister. Suck it up, guy.

Rose said...

Congrats and good luck with the ring shopping. I'm sure the perfect choice will jump out at the perfect time:)